Last updated January 7, 2017
- Radio Australia (promoted from "Endangered" to "Critically Endangered").
According to the press release on the ABC website, "the ABC will end its shortwave transmission service in the Northern Territory and to international audiences from 31 January 2017. The move is in line with the national broadcaster’s commitment to dispense with outdated technology [...]". This follows the reduction in the number of broadcasting frequencies and targeted regions in January 2015, and a one-week outage in August 2016.
- All India Radio
- Radio Exterior de España (temporarily shut down and reopened due to public pressure).
- Voice of Greece (shut down, operated illegally and then resumed legal broadcasts).
- IRIB (shortwave service reductions announced).
- Radio Tirana [New] (sole transmitter has severe problems and is reported off-air lately).
- Radio Cairo (the transmitters are not functioning properly and have been neglected for several years).
- Radio Pakistan (on air irregularly).
- Radio New Zealand International (operating on a single transmitter with reduced AM broadcasts due to time-sharing with DRM transmissions that were previously aired via their second transmitter).
Recently Closed Down
- Radio Belarus
- Radio Bulgaria
- Radio Canada International
- Radio Damascus, Syria
- Radio Netherlands
- Radio Kuwait
- Radio Poland
- International Radio of Serbia
- Voice of Russia
With thanks to Glenn Hauser of World of Radio for the updates on Radio Tirana, Radio New Zealand International and Radio Nacional da Amazônia.